4.19.2009

Blood Draw - the most horrible thing ever

Update on the Allergic Reaction:
So we aren't exactly sure what caused the allergic reaction. We saw an allergist and he suspected either food dyes, any type of a nut since alot of food is make on equipment that also processes nuts, or gelatin from marshmallows. So we have ruled out the food dyes from other foods with each dye she doesn't react to. And she had gelatin marshmallows the other day accidentally which ruled those out once she did not have a reaction. (Not the ideal way to cross something off the list.)

So the doctor recommended an allergy test for a dozen different types of nuts. We had to go to Quest or LabCorp to get that done. Needless to say after a terrifying 5 minutes of screaming, drooling, spitting, snotting, and kicking it was over. It was horrible. It took me and another nurse to hold her down while a 2nd nurse drew blood. Her little veins in her baby fat were hard to find and her blood flowed so slow. We had to fill 2 vials. :o( Afterward I gave her her Monkey and Binky (she calls it a Binty) and we went home and had chocolate cookies. Here she is after some cookies. I think she forgot about it eventually, but I never will.
So the tests have come back all negative. So I guess we will never know until it happens again. Or it may never happen again. I don't like the unknown...

No comments:

Post a Comment