Sorry I've been off the blog for a bit. First off, we were gone for a week at Greg's family reunion (pics to be posted soon). Second, we had 2 weeks where Kennedy was really sick. It was a while and we didn't know what was wrong with her. In the end...she had measles.
It started off as a mild fever on July 26th. No big deal..she was cutting 3 teeth at the same time, or so we thought. I asked Jaime, our old nanny, if she was off the next day so she could watch her and give her motrin/tylenol for teething. She was available so she watched her.
Later on July 27th, I get an update that she suddenly got a fever spike of 103. That's not teething. Luckily our pediatrician is open until 9pm so I was able to cut out of work a little early and take her straight to the pediatrician's office. I call Greg and tell him he only has Allison to pick up...I have K and at the pediatrician's office. So, if you notice the date...July 27th...is my birthday. Little did I know Greg threw a surprise party for me with about 20 people! Well, he spoiled the surprise and told me that in less than an hour a surprise party was all getting together at La Napolera Mexican Restaurant!!!! Well, too bad...my baby's sick. I told him to go there with Allison and I'd join late and swap off and he could take K home.
When I arrive at the pediatrician's office K was getting worse. When I got in the room the temp was 105.6! That's when all of a sudden there were lots of nurses and doctors in our room....ice packs, cold wet cloths, tylenol, motrin, antibiotic injection, urinary catheter passed, blood being drawn, strep tests, etc etc. I just started crying as Kennedy was crying. Everything came back normal....that's when we were sent to Wolfon's Children's Hospital downtown. I called Greg crying....needless to say...someone else mustve worn the sombrero and did the tequilla shot because I never made it to my party. Greg met up with me at 10pm at the hospital. Here's a pic of Kennedy waiting for chest xrays to be taken.
Chest was clear, blood cultures were taken and we were sent home. We had to wake up every 2 hours and take her temp, she was getting double doses of tylenol or motrin alternating every 3 hours with cool baths every time the spike was over 104. Everything came back negative and we were frustrated that it was just a virus and nothing we could do but wait it out. Days went on like this with no resolution and high fevers...then about a week later it was gone. :o) We had a period of about 5 days with nothing (luckily our Iowa Family Reunion all went well within those 5 days) and then all of a sudden a 104.5 fever again. We rushed her back to the pediatrician again. Here she is on her 3rd or 4th visit that week. The glove balloons are the funniest thing to kids.
Once again... tests all negative. So we thought is it possible that this could be virus #2 that close together...Ug. So we dealt with it again and all of a sudden 2 days later...........MEASLES OUTBREAK. We finally had a diagnosis. Kennedy was going through Rosiola Infant Measles Virus. I didn't think to snap a picture of the measles until they started fading. These are poor quality phone pics after they are halfway faded. But this is what she looked like. :o( They didn't itch or anything...then within 2 days they were gone. She's all healthy again. But it was a tiring 2 weeks for everyone.
And I need to plan a make up party soon for my birthday. :o)
I do remember at some point in the evening I did get this picture on my cell phone with a text, "We all hope Kennedy gets better soon." They all watched Allison for us when Greg left to join me at the hospital and we picked her up before midnight at the Smith's house. Good Friends. :o)






No comments:
Post a Comment